Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Sabbath

So I chose to not go to church this morning.
*GASP*

But you know what? It was kind of refreshing.

I love Sundays, and all they afford me in terms of time, relaxation and few demands. I like them that way. And when I am tired and it feels like a chore to go to church, it is nice to sleep in.

Now, I'm not saying that you should just not go every time you can't be bothered, because sometimes it is important to get out and just go. And God honours that.

But we need to remember Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."
The Sabbath is a rest day. God gave it to us as a gift. Not as a law that we must follow.

We need to remember that even though to keep the Sabbath holy is one of the Ten Commandments, those commandments were given to a bunch of people who were slaves - they had to work seven days, no breaks. And then God said "Hey! I'm going to give you a day off!" They weren't thinking that it was going to be a hard thing. The Israelites would have been excited!

But we have twisted it into something that it is not.
Let's take it as what it is. A gift. A day where we are allowed to take a break, but also do what is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment