Sunday, August 14, 2011

Disney and Spirituality

So, where I am at the moment there has been a flurry of snow!
Therefore, me and my flatmates have decided to just have a movie day :D
We have watched Mulan, Wolverine, and Anastasia so far.
Since watching these things, I have come to note a common theme among Disney animated movies... There always seems to be some kind of magic, or spiritual thing that happens in the movie.
Take Mulan, for example. Mulan is helped by a magical dragon who was sent by her ancestors.
Anastasia was running away from a curse made by a (really creepy) dead guy.
Lion King, Simba talks to his dad in the sky.
Beauty and the Beast - creepy curse again.
Cinderella - Fairy Godmothers.
Aladdin - Genie
And the list goes on!

I'm not necessarily saying that this is a bad thing. It is just interesting to see how spirituality seems to be a common theme in Disney's movies, whether it takes the form of local beliefs (as in Mulan), or magic in numerous of their other movies.
I think it would be rather interesting to see how Disney's movies have impacted on a generation in regards to their spiritual lives.

So, let's take a straw poll:
Do you think Disney's movies have impacted upon your spiritual life? If so, how? If not, why don't you think so?

1 comment:

  1. Not at all. I watched them all, and my daughters watched them all, but I think we've raised them to have a very realistic view of what is reality and what is imagination. They didn't take the pseudo-spirituality of a Disney character as truth any more than they would accept that a teapot could talk.

    Disney spirituality is something that confident Christians need not give one second of thought or worry, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete