Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Soap Box

Teacher's College, I have decided teaches you everything that you never knew (or perhaps wanted to know?) about teaching but realised that it would have been good to know when you were going to school.
I found out why I liked school, and why perhaps others didn't.
I liked school mainly because I was good at it, but that was because the way I learn best is the common way to teach things in school. Teacher talks, I write and do some exercises with some written assessment tasks and exams. But for some other people out there, and you may be one of them, it was like what I presume hell is like, and not necessarily because of any social issues you may have had. The teachers just didn't understand you and they seemed to just be talking in another language. That's probably because they were.
Nowadays in NZ, with the advent of the new curriculum, literacy is being dealt with in every subject. And you know what that means? That teachers have to make sure that you understand the language of each subject you take, all of the confusing jargon which you memorise, put in your NCEA exams, and pass, but still have no clue what it really means.
I guess that is why I want to become a teacher. So that students can really understand and get to grips with what they are learning. To allow them to become literate in their subjects and to be able to participate in 'adult' conversation, and have well grounded opinions about things.
That's why I do Geography. It is a way to view our world, and a way to see things so that we can change them for the better. And I want to equip the next generation to be able to see that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment